Number: 2021/08-WP6, 2020/09
Terms of Reference
- In Situ Chemical Oxidation (ISCO) report (2020)
- In Situ Chemical Oxidation (ISCO) Annex1– Case studies (2020)
- Soil Vapour Extraction (SVE) report (2020)
- Soil Vapour Extraction (SVE) Annex1_- Case studies (2020)
Project description and aims
Contaminated sites management is a process that has different speeds in the Members States. This is due partly to differences in legislation that would mean different definitions as for making some examples “potentially contaminated sites”, “contaminated sites”, “remediated sites”. For this reason, the European Commission-JRC launched an initiative with EEA-EIONET network to find
common definitions and a survey in MS in 2018 (https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/publication/statuslocal-soil-contamination-europe-revision-indicator-progress-management-contaminated-sites) that resulted in defining 6 site statuses.
The expected outcomes of this projects are:
- Support/exchange technical experience required to make progress with the Remediation phase in Europe in order to enable those MS in which no procedure is currently taking place to have one reference.
- To share knowledge, skills and good practices, produce technical guidance, coordinate action between countries.
- To involve the main European Networks that deal with contaminated sites issues like COMMON FORUM, Eionet WG Contamination, and NICOLE.
Call for case studies MPE and Soil Washing
In 2021, Water and Land Remediation will collect case studies for Multi-Phase Extraction (MPE) and Soil Washing. Anybody that is interested to share the results of the application of one of the two mentioned technologies are invited to submit it according to the following formats in MS word (no pdf) not later than 15 February 2022 to email@example.com with the subject “MPE Case Study” or “Soil Washing Case Study”. If you have multiple case studies, prepare and send different files so that they are easier to process. You will be included as “Contributors”.
ISCO, In Situ Chemical Oxidation
Download the main document (draft): ISCO draft report IMPEL-CF-EIONET-NICOLE
Download the Annex1: Annex1_ISCO final
SVE, Soil Vapour Extraction
Download the main document (draft): SVE draft report IMPEL-CF-EIONET-NICOLE
Download the Annex1: Annex1_SVE_Final
Lead country and contact
• Soil Thematic strategy.
• COM(2006)231 final.
• Stockholm Convention (art. 6, last version).
• MINAMATA Convention on Mercury.
• No net land take by 2050 reported for the first time in the Roadmap to a Resource Efficient Europe, COM(2011) 571 final.